We used shiny, sparkly (and therefore semi-pokey) pipe cleaners for the 2010 portion and the normal, fuzzy (and therefore easier on the ears) pipe cleaners for the sides. For EJ's pair, I followed the sizing given in the tutorial...1/2 a pipe cleaner looped on itself for each zero, 1/2 pipe cleaner for the 2, and 1/2 pipe cleaner (minus about 1 inch) for the 1. The 1 inch piece then connects the 2 zeros and the 1 together (the ear piece connects the 2 to the first 0).
Jack's needed to be bigger though if he wanted to see through them. I ended up taking the pipe cleaner and sizing it around his eyeball so I could see how the two circles would sit comfortably. His ended up being about 2/3rds of the pipe cleaner. Then I just sized the rest accordingly. On both pairs, cutting a pipe cleaner in half for the ear pieces worked perfectly.
I think I would play with it and just size them appropriately for each specific kid. EJ has a small head and Jack has a big head, but EJ's was made according to the tutorial and they fit Olivia too! I think that is saying something about their size.
These were so quick to make and he kids absolutely loved them! I think I'm going to make a couple more pairs tomorrow so everyone can ring in the new year with these fancy specs on!
Until then...Happy New Year from Mr. Magoo! :-)